“Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product.”-Eleanor Roosevelt
Sometimes when people feel sad, they try to make a list of things that make them happy in hopes that it makes them feel better, allowing them to look for the silver lining. Well, a lot of pretty great things have been going on lately, so I just started making a list of things that I love and make me happy because...well, they make me happy. I'd like to share them with you:
1. Ian McKellan-this one isn't really just about him, it's about the entire cast of Disney's live-action Beauty and the Beast. I mean, c'mon, Emma Watson as Belle? Could that casting BE any more perfect? But, back to Ian, his tweet after their read-through was just perfection.
2. Younger- If you are not watching this show on TV Land, what are you doing with your life? Seriously. It is one of the best new shows I have seen in a long time, and that's saying something because I watch a lot of TV. It stars Hilary Duff (yay Lizzie McGuire!), Sutton Foster (yay Broadway star!), and Nico Tortorella (yay cute boy!) and is so subtly funny. To get a job, Liza (Sutton Foster) lies about her age and says she's 26 instead of 40. Kelsey (Hilary Duff) helps her navigate her new job, but it takes Liza a while to understand how just to act like a millennial (speaking in acronyms, using hashtags, debating over JTT vs. Andrew Keegan). Plus dating hot tattoo artist Josh is kinda fun. 10 pm on Tuesdays, do it!
3. Slam Poetry- Oh my gosh, I don't know why I have a sudden obsession with it (or maybe I do...blame it on Colleen Hoover), but I have found some freaking fantastic ones lately. If you're interested, try checking it out: Explaining My Depression to My Mother, Somewhere in America, For Teenage Girls, and what started it all-
4. Humans of New York. If you're not following them on Facebook, you should be. The photographer walks around New York taking pictures of people every day and asks them questions about their lives. You hear love stories that are 50 years old and some that are 2 weeks old. You hear about the couple who take turns following their dreams: one is off being a dancer and the other is painting the front stoop until he can pursue acting again. You hear about the man who has been in the U.S. for five years and he went to Central Park to talk English to someone, but he ended up just sitting on a rock instead. You see the little boy who says his sister isn't old enough to have superpowers yet. You see the teenage boy who credits his high school teacher for changing his life and keeping him off the streets. It is amazing how many great, inspiring, heartbreaking stories are out there.
5. Also, T-Rex short arm jokes and reenactments of The Lion King make me laugh always. Seriously, go Pinterest it!
For every silver lining, there is a rain cloud, so here are the things that are NOT making me happy:
1. Shonda Rhimes and Grey's Anatomy...I do NOT want to talk about it.
2. All TV shows that kill off/get rid of characters I like...I'm talking to you Vampire Diaries, Chicago PD...and that other show I am NOT talking about.
3. My house is a mess and I don't have enough time to clean!
Ok, I guess I should update you on my writing. So many exciting things are happening that I can hardly keep up. Every Choice is going to be released on June 13th which is SO SOON and I'm beyond excited about it! I'm in my final rounds of copy editing so it's getting close. I should have a cover reveal for you shortly ;-).
I am appearing in my first author signing on June 6th in Dayton, Ohio! It's going to be a great time and I can't wait to meet everyone. Check out this link for more details!
To end, here's a little teaser from Every Choice, out June 13th :-P:
I had just pulled my key out and was about to slide it in when his door flung open and an intense Luca charged across to me. He caged me against my door with one arm on either side of my head.
“I told you I could play the game, sweetheart. You ready to surrender?”
I narrowed my eyes at him and tried to ignore how good he smelled. “Not a fucking chance,” I said.
He pressed his body in closer, so it was just a few inches from being fully against mine and I couldn’t stop the gasp that escaped. He leaned in and I could feel his lips coming closer. Yes! This was what I had been waiting for. He hadn’t touched me yet, but my body was ready to explode when he did.
My eyes closed of their own accord as his mouth came closer to mine. I could feel our lips barely brushing as he whispered, “Suit yourself. Game on.”
He pushed himself off and I heard him chuckle as he walked back into his apartment and closed the door.